Valley Catholic Middle School Admissions
Valley Catholic Middle School provides a quality education that affords students many opportunities to excel in scholarship, leadership, character development and service. The Sisters of St. Mary of Oregon and the faculty and staff of Valley Catholic School, in partnership with our parents, provide excellent, affordable Catholic values-based education to students in the Portland metropolitan area.
Valley Catholic offers a progressive education to prepare young men and women to be lifelong learners and leaders in the 21st century. With an education that speaks to the whole person, Valley Catholic promotes a strong academic tradition of critical thinking, intellectual curiosity and active social responsibility.
- Valley Catholic Middle School: Our academic program
- Valley Catholic Middle School STEM program
- 2021-2022 Valley Catholic Middle School Curriculum Guide
Applicants who are not attending Valley Catholic
Nov 1 | Applications available online
Nov 1 – Jan. 12 | Applicant visitation days and parent interviews – You will be able to schedule your visit upon submission of your child’s completed application
Jan 10 | Applicant Question and Answer via Zoom 7:00 p.m.
Jan 13 | Application and Financial Aid deadline
Feb 1 | Applicant Transcripts and Recommendations Due
Valley Catholic Middle School will not be hosting an Open House.
A completed application package is due by Jan. 13 for first round consideration
- An application via SchoolAdmin starting Nov. 1
- Transcripts and standardized test scores from the last two years (if available or a written explanation as to why these are not part of the file)
- Health Information Form
- Learning Needs Profile (if student has been formally diagnosed with a learning difference/disability)
- $65 non-refundable application fee
- *Requests made to child’s current school for the following forms (Applicant must request these forms by Jan. 13. The forms are due Feb. 1):
- English Teacher Recommendation Form
- Math Teacher Recommendation Form
- Principal/Counselor Recommendation Form
- Transfer of Records Request Form
- Applicants, not currently attending VCES, need to spend-a-day at VCMS as part of the admissions process.
- A 60 minute parent tour and interview is required the morning of the spend-a-day visit.
*Transcripts and Recommendations are Due by Feb.1, 2023 for first round consideration
Applicants who are currently enrolled at Valley Catholic Elementary School (VCES)
Nov. 1 | Applications available online
Nov. 1 – Jan. 12 | Applicant visitation days and parent interviews
Jan. 10 | Applicant Question and Answer via Zoom 7:00 p.m.
Jan. 13 | Application and Financial Aid deadline
How to Apply
Since current VCES students are already part of the Valley Catholic system, the following accommodations have been made:
- The ONLY step required for a current VCES fifth grade student is for the family to complete an application via SchoolAdmin by Jan.13, 2023.
- Current VCES students are NOT required to submit anything else.
- Once you complete the application – email Molly Teeter at [email protected] to let her know you completed the application.
- That’s it! No fee, no recommendation forms, no records request.
VCES fifth grade students who are interested in attending Valley Catholic Middle School will be offered admissions according to one of the following admission categories:
Admission Status for Current VCES Fifth Grade Students
Admissions to Valley Catholic Middle School will be granted early for any current VCES fifth grade student who meets the admissions requirements. The notification of early admission will be sent to current VCES students three weeks earlier than outside applicants.
- Valley Catholic Elementary fifth grade students must meet the standards of a Catholic school: academics, self-discipline, and respect for the teachings of Jesus Christ. In addition, each student must receive the approval of the VCMS Admission Committee.
Students who do not Qualify for Admissions
- Parents of students who do not meet the admissions requirements (at the time second quarter report cards are complete) should schedule an appointment to meet with the middle school administration team to discuss whether Valley Catholic Middle School is the best fit for your child, if the parents wish to pursue an application to VCMS.
- Pending the outcome of that meeting, parents who wish to pursue an application to VCMS, their current fifth grade applicant will be placed on admission review. This means current VCES students who do not qualify for automatic admission may be granted a one-semester extension before a final acceptance decision is made. This allows the student to address areas of concern during the second half of the school year.
Notification of admission status for students on admission review will be mailed in early June, immediately following the completion of the VCES second semester report cards. At that time the student will either receive an admission acceptance or and admission denial.
A few students may not be automatically admitted into the middle school program. If that is the case, parents who wish to pursue admission to VCMS for their child will need to schedule a meeting with the middle school administrative team before spring break.
Some students have health-related issues, require adjustments to the fifth grade program, or have an identified learning difference. Given this, it is likely these students will also require adjustments to the middle school program. In an effort to ensure each student is set up for success, we want to meet individually with these parents to discuss their student’s needs and how Valley Catholic Middle School may or may not be able to meet those needs. At the meeting, families will learn about any documentation needed to provide alternative or adjusted classroom expectations before they choose to apply to the middle school program.
The admissions committee reviews all the files, trying to find a good fit between students’ needs and what the school has to offer. From time to time the admission committee will not accept a student into the middle school program because they determine that our academic program does not meet the student’s needs for a variety of reasons.
These instances do not occur very often and special consideration is given to current VCES fifth grade students.
Valley Catholic Middle School wants to form a partnership with parents to provide the best educational opportunities for students. Regardless of which type of admission category your child fits, we are always happy to talk to you about the program and if the program meets the needs and goals of your child.
Should you have any questions, contact:
Jennifer Gfroerer, Principal
The 2022-2023 middle school tuition is $13,030 for the first child. A multiple child discount is available, reducing $250 for each additional sibling in grades K-12. At the time of registration, new Valley Catholic Middle School families with students in grades 6-8 pay $1,325 to guarantee their child’s place in the class ($325 registration fee and $1,000 tuition deposit). Both are non-refundable.
We use the tuition management company FACTS to evaluate financial need.
The Sisters of St. Mary of Oregon and the faculty and staff of Valley Catholic School, in partnership with our parents, provide excellent, affordable Catholic values-based education to students in the Portland metropolitan area.
SSMO Legacy Scholarship for current VC students – application due Jan. 14